New Welsh Review 15, Winter 1991
16 in stock
Peter Stead on his new film to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Hollywood's verson of Richard Llewellyn's best-selling novel.
• Land of our Mothers by Sian Edwards
The author reviews Our Mother's Land: Chapters in Welsh Women's History 1830-1939, and finds Welsh stereotypes turned on their head.
• The fragmented image by Eleri Carrog
Eleri Carrog explores the meaning of Welshness.
• Remember the Sabbath Day... by D Ben Rees
As the forces of Mammon seek to scrap all Sunday trading restrictions, the author restates the case for the traditional Welsh Sunday.
• Fields of decline by Rhys David
The author discusses, with the help of several new books on the subject of rugby, the outlook for Wales's national game.
• Tiger Bay and the law of love by Tom Davies
Tom Davies takes a nostalgic look back at 'perhaps the most famous and misunderstood' images of Wales, Tiger Bay.
• Dramatizing 'Funland' by James A Davies
The author explores Dannie Abse's longest and most ambitious poem and the poet's abiding concern with the nature and exercise of authority.
• Japan Festival 1991: Haiku Competition by Nigel Jenkins
Nigel Jenkins discusses the competition and introduces 22 of the best haiku.
• A leap in the light by Peter Finch
A review of a new haiku collection by the Festival winner, David Cobb.
• A Welsh strategy for literature by Anthony Conran
The Government is planning to publish a 'national arts strategy'. Anthony Conran looks back at what has been achieved for both of Wales's literatures and spells out some immediate priorities.
• UWP's pride and purpose by Herbert Williams
In the second of our series on Welsh publishers, Herbert Williams talks to Ned Thomas, the new director of University of Wales Press.
• A playwright of stature by Harri Pritchard Jones
The author pays tribute to Gwenlyn Parry, a revolutionary figure in the Welsh language theatre.
• Ray Smith by Herbert Williams
A tribute to actor, Ray Smith.
• Auntie shows her fangs by Jon Gower
Jon Gower's round-up of broadcast media.
• The Secret by Dannie Abse
• Moonbeam kisses by Leonora Brito
Editor: Robin Reeves