New Welsh Review 1, Summer 1988
4 in stock
Glyn Jones talks about his upbringing, politics and writing.
• Glyn Jones: Selected Poems, Fragments & Fiction by Mercer Simpson
A critical review of the publication.
• My People and the Revenge of the Novel by M. Wynn Thomas
M. Wynn Thomas on a book that has divided opinion.
• Publishing My People: The Book as Expressive Object by John Harris[nlJohn Harris on the 'process by which a manuscript becomes a marketable public commodity' and how this impacts on how a text is read. He relates this to the 1987 Poetry Wales publication of My People which he edited.
• Vale Atque Ave by Raymond Garlick
The former editor of The Anglo-Welsh Review mourns the loss of the journal but salutes the birth of New Welsh Review
• An Abdication from Time by Tony Conran
An essay on Raymond Garlick's work as a poet.
• Raymond Garlick Collected Poems 1946-1986 by Leslie Norris
A critical review of the book.
• Wales, Welsh by G.O. Jones
G.O. Jones, part way into writing the provocatively titled Dictionary of Nonsense Words, applies the same approach to the meaning of 'Wales' and 'Welsh'.
• The Making of the Anglo-Welsh Tradition (1) by Peter MacDonald Smith
Peter MacDonald Smith looks back at New Welsh Review's forebears - Wales, The Anglo-Welsh Review, Poetry Wales, Mabon and Planet - and considers how they came to make and shape the Anglo-Welsh tradition.
• For the Honour of Wales by Don Dale-Jones
The influence of A.G. Prys-Jones (1888-1987): 'patriarch of Anglo-Welsh writing'.
• Incoming Tides by Linden Peach
An essay on the poetry of Gillian Clarke.
• The Bishop, the Bowdlers, the Botany Bay Sugeon by Gwyn Walters
The architects of the Old Library at St David's University College, Lampeter.
• Views and News by various authors
A Border-line Case: On the Black Hill - Peter Stead reviews the film of Bruce Chatwin's novel.
European Cinema and Television Year 1988 - Virginia Digham considers the plans to celebrate the centenary of cinema and the state of the British film industry today.
Gerald of Wales - Lizbeth Barrett reports of the exhibition at the National Museum of Wales.
A Journey Through Wales: Artists in the Footsteps of Giraldus Cambrensis, 1740-1988 - P.J. Foss reports on the travelling exhibition.
• November Kill by Ron Berry
• The Story by Andrew Hassam
• Reverse for Dennis by Leslie Norris
Poems by :
Deryn Rees Jones
Editor: Belinda Humfrey