There is no editorial in this issue
Buy this issue now for £6.99 (incl p+p)
• Gerard Manley Hopkins 1844 - 1889 by Walford Davies
Walford Davies interviews John Wain. They discuss Hopkin's Catholicism, his influence on 60s poets and John Wain's favourite Hopkin's poems.
• Gerard Manley Hopkins: Like Something Almost Being Said by Walford Davies
The Gwyn Jones Lecture delivered at the Cardiff Festival of Literature.
• Fixity versus Flux: Hopkins and the Discourse of Development by Lesley Higgins
Lesley Higgin's paper presented at the Hopkin's Centenary Conference, in which she explores the themes of time, creation and identity in Hopkin's work.
• The Men Whom Hopkins Joined by Paul Edwards S J
Paul Edwards discusses the poet's years as a novice of the Society of Jesus at St Bueno's.
• Gerard Manley Hopkins and the Vale of Clwyd by Gladys Mary Coles
Gladys Mary Coles on the influence of the Vale of Clwyd on his writings from his St Bueno years.
• The Relevance of Gerard Manley Hopkins for Welsh Poetry in English Today by
J P Ward argues that Hopkin's parallel preoccupations with abundance and control still have relevance to poetry today.
• The Naked Shingles of the World by Jeremy Hooker
Jeremy Hooker on modern poetry and the crisis of religious language.
• Portrait of an Actor by Sian James
Sian James pays tribute to her husband, the actor Emrys James.
• Letter from America by David Lloyd
David Lloyd on how American poetry is gaining in political sophistication.
• The New Starter by Robert Morgan
• First Death on the Mountain by Stuart Henson
Poems by :
Gladys Mary Coles
The majority of books reviewed in New Welsh Review
be bought online from gwales.com
, the Welsh Books Council's online
bookshop, by simply clicking on the 'buy now' icon. For any that
are unavailable, please contact the publishers or ask in your local
bookshop. All details were correct at the time of publication.
by Stefan Collini
Published by OUP
ISBN pb 127pp £3.95
Reviewed by Barbara DennisBuy at gwales.com
• Llyfr Ionas: (The Book of Jonah)
Published by Gwasg Gregynog
ISBN 21pp £30
Reviewed by R Brinley JonesBuy at gwales.com
• Fire in the Bay
by Tom Davies
Published by Collins
Reviewed by Michael ParnellBuy at gwales.com
• Speak Silence: Essays
by Idris Parry
Published by Carcanet
ISBN 323pp £16.95
Reviewed by John HodgsonBuy at gwales.com
• Letting in the Humour
by Gillian Clarke
Published by Carcanet
ISBN pb 79pp £4.95
Reviewed by Cynthia FullerBuy at gwales.com
• Cometary Phases
by Christine Evans
Published by Seren
ISBN pb 106pp £4.95
Reviewed by Sue ViceBuy at gwales.com
• Katherine Philips ('Orinda')
by Patrick Thomas
Published by University of Wales Press
ISBN pb 71pp £3.50
Reviewed by Kenneth SmithBuy at gwales.com
• Pleasures of a Tangled Life
by Jan Morris
Published by Barrie and Jenkins
ISBN pb 207pp £12.95
Reviewed by Judith MaroBuy at gwales.com
You can now get a taste of some of the excellent pieces in this issue online: